January 2024 Committee meeting minutes

Grampian Squash Committee

Minutes of Meeting Friday January the 12th 2024

Present: P. Charlton, T van Huuksloot, D Selway, G Davidson, C Cook

Apologies: K Hobson, S Black, G Tierney, C Hunter, J Webster, J Ewen, A Lamb

Approval of Previous Minutes:

Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

1.

Other sponsors than main one(s) can sponsor individual competitions or Inter-Regional Junior Championships.

 

Committee & Info

 

 

Treasurer’s Report

1.

How much have we got in our accounts?

 

Last figures were: £12,465 in the Grampian Squash account and £10,243 in a separate account

SB

 

 

2.

We agree to pay back half the coaching fees for anyone (if and when they passed the course as well as being able to show having served 10 hours of coaching)

 

PC to look into newly qualified coaches if they are due anything from us.

Paul Stein, Graham Davidson and Mike Padden identified as new coaches.

Ongoing…

SB/Info

 

 

 

PC

3.

With regards to the Aberdeen Gold event: did we get what we were due?

Update 12/01/24

Not yet received chase is required

 

 

SB

4.

Remind TRAC about the £4K contribution towards Joe Ewen (DCI) salary

Update 12/01/24

All paid

SB

5.

Trophy engraving, ordering of medals etc… start arranging.

Same as last season

SB

 

Junior Report & Development League

1.

DCI accepted by Sport Scotland utilizing 4 venues: ASV, Banchory, Garioch & Ellon.

Joe Ewen has agreed to take the position and started on the 22nd August 2022

After more than 1 year in the role, Sport Scotland are happy/has granted for Joe to continue his excellent work in his current role!

Info.

 

2.

A steering group has been created to help / Guide Joe along the way.

Steering group consists of 1 key member from each of the clubs involved with the DCI position.

Info

 

 

3.

JE requests help from Grampian Squash (GS) & Community to create a little structure and help with fundraising for the Junior development.

i.e. one idea is to have Juniors affiliated to Grampian Squash by paying a small fee to enter 5 tournaments which will be funded by GS

Ideally we find one or 2 more sponsors to help fund this.

JE/Committee

4.

School Squash: we're kicking off in Ellon this month with the next block of school squash. This should flow in nicely with the sessions being run by Danny H and Carl H on Friday afternoons.

We're still seeing the benefits of the block from last year being supported by local coaches with slowly increasing numbers of Ellon based players participating in local competitions.

Info

5.

Tournaments - we had another successful Junior and U23 Bronze event as ASV on Saturday, 13 January with 25 participants on the day - full results available here https://www.sportyhq.com/tournament/view/Grampian-Junior-Bronze-Event-January-2024-ASV

 

Special thanks to everyone that supported the event at ASV, our volunteer referees (Graham Davidson, Mark Gauci and Mike Paddon especially) and Kirsty McInnes who ran the tournament desk on the day.

 

A Grade result

Connor Murray - Winner

Peter Macari - Runner-up

 

B Grade

Om Patil - Winner

Oliver Currie - Runner-up

 

C Grade

Lauchlan Young - Winner

Sarah Brewster - Runner-up

 

Away from the results the general level of improvement across the board from our junior players was notable. As well as everyone having a lot of fun it's been great to see everyone developing their tactical match play skills alongside their technical improvements over the past few events we've hosted.

info

6.

We've got a number of tournaments coming up over the next couple of month which should continue to build the buzz around Grampian Squash and give our young players something to aim for.

 

Scottish Junior Nationals at ASRC - https://www.sportyhq.com/tournament/view/Scottish-Junior-National-Championships-2024

Local players currently entered Om Patil (BU11), Connor Murray and Robert Phillips (both U19)

 

Grampian Junior and U23 Bronze Event at ASRC - https://www.sportyhq.com/tournament/view/Grampian-Junior-Bronze-Event-February-2024-ASRC

 

Grampian Junior and U23 Silver Event at ASRC - https://www.sportyhq.com/tournament/view/Grampian-Junior-Silver-Event-March-2024

 

Grampian Closed Junior and U23 Silver Event at ASRC - https://www.sportyhq.com/tournament/view/Grampian-Squash-Junior-Closed-Championships-ASRC

 

Some notable performances from the Scottish Junior Open where Om Patil and Connor Murray took part, both with very respectable finished. Connor Murray finished 15th in the Boys U19 age group and Om Patil finished 11th in the Boys U11 category.

 

Info

 

Match Secretary’s Report

 

1.

All individuals who played and were actively playing towards the end of the season are all members of Sporty HQ

Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

Got a list from SS with players out of date and or to become out of date.

Update/chase captains with out of date team members to get renewed.

Info

 

 

 

CC

4.

Membership check (Through Sporty) to be done and then report to all captains if there are outstanding.
Being checked on ongoing basis. (see above)

 

 

Info

5.

Individual Knock out invites to be sent out to each division.

 

Update 12/01/24:

CC to set this up in Sporty

DS (Div1)

AL & CC (Div2)

GD (Div 3)

PC (Vets)

 

CC

 

Scottish Squash Report

1.

Paul Macari keen to be part at one of our committee meetings

We will look into a suitable meeting for him to attend in future.

 

TvH

 

 

2.

Scottish Squash has released a Board summary Meeting Notes document we can share with all.

See website alongside the minutes

Info

3.

PC and ASRC have a good working relationship where agreements have been reached when either ASRC or Grampian Squash are awarded future Squash events.

Info

 

 

 

4.

Scottish Squash have established a ‘Regional Association Working Group’.

The idea would be to look to pull together the regional Directors and the Chair of each Regional Association, to achieve our (Scottish Squash) strategic goal to better work through the regions, improve the Board to membership connect that came through in the recent Director appraisal feedback and to facilitate greater inter-region conversation.

PC & TvH agreed to be part of this working group representing the Grampian region.

 

 

Info

 

 

Rules Sub Committee Report

1.

The Rules Sub Committee consists of:

George Tierney; Steve Black (Chairman) Danny Selway & Graham Davidson

Anyone with an issue can email the Rules Subcommittee directly through: rulescommittee@grampiansquash.com

 

info

2.

A Change in Chairman? Check with SB

PC

 

 

AOCB

1.

The committee after the AGM now consists:-

  •  
  •  
  •  

Paul Charlton

Vice President

Steve Black

  •  

Tommy van Huuksloot

  •  

Steve Black

Match Secretary

Chris Cook

Junior Convenor

Joe Ewen

Committee Members

George Tierney

Jim Webster

 

Danny Selway

 

Keith Hobson

 

Graham Davidson

 

Colin Hunter

 

Annie lamb

 

Info

2.

Our website has now got additional Tabs where you can read the Monthly Minutes and the Grampian Squash & Racketball Constitution

There’s also an additional tab that shows Contact info with the new email addresses involved

We’re also on Facebook and Twitter where updates are regularly posted

 

Info

 

 

 

 

 

4.

Jim Webster took photos of all the trophy winners on Finals night.

These will be emailed to all the relevant Captains.

Update 13/12:

CC to follow up with J webster and get the photos emailed out.

Update 12/01/24:

All completed.

CC & JW

5.

Finals Night will now be held on Thursday the 28th March

This due to a clash with an event on the 22nd March (at ESC)

 

We will ensure there’s a specific week for holding the play offs and promotion/relegation matches

The 21st and the 26th march

 

Info

 

 

CC/Committee

 

8.

There has been observations of disrespect towards referees / markers within the Grampian leagues.

Send out an email to all Captains to remind players to be respectful towards referees/markers.

Update 13/12:

To send out a separate paper to help understand what’s allowed or not within the Squash rules.

have paper copies displayed at all clubs (if possible)

Done but not to all clubs

TvH

9.

Joe to have talks with Sport Disability Scotland (SDS) to see how we can promote within Grampian region

JE

10.

Player of the Month:

Sept-Oct:         John Milton (Resys)

Nov:                 Peter Douglas (Garioch 2)

 

Info

11.

Discussions with Sporty regarding reminders being sent direct to the member…

CC/Committee

 

Next Committee Meeting Tuesday the 13th feb